RISE HIGH is a program for Schenectady City youth where participants learn about STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) and other skills to success, in a fun and nurturing environment. Students are exposed to a wide variety of careers in technology. Through hands-on experiential learning we promote problem-solving and critical thinking, while exercising their creativity and providing the support to help them reach their goals.
OUR MISSION Provide sustained exposure to diverse enrichment learning opportunities in STEM to under-resourced youth in our community via comprehensive approaches that address and overcome barriers to academic, personal, and wellness development.
Benefits of Rise High
Tell Me More
Spring 2018: Inaugural 6th grade cohort
Fall 2018: 7th graders (previous 6th grade cohort)
Spring 2019: New 6th grade cohort and 7th grade cohort
Subsequent grade levels will added every Spring semester, up through 12th grade.
Programming is tailored for each independent grade, with some shared sessions. Each cohort (grade) will have 16-20 participants.
- Student from Schenectady City school
- Have an interest or curiosity in STEM subjects
- Have limited access to financial, social, mentorship, enrichment opportunities, or academic/professional support resources.
The program is free of charge for the students and their families.
Download application HERE or ask the counselor at your school.
- Fill out the application
- Submit two (2) letters of recommendation. At least 1 letter should be from a school teacher (science/math preferred). Both letters can be from teachers. Other adults that can recommend (maximum 1) include community program leaders, or close family friend.
- Email application and letters of recommendation to Apply@rise-high.org or mail to P. O. Box 4213, Clifton Park, NY 12065
- Once reviewed, if contacted, attend a personal interview to get to know you better!
- If selected, attend student/legal guardian orientation to make sure that we are all on board, and proper signatures are collected to start the fun and learning!
Once you are in the program, and if in good standing, you are automatically enrolled for the following semester/year. We want to see you again for years to come! A new 6th grade cohort will be added every year in the Spring semester. For higher grades, ongoing recruitment will take place based on availability.
The main hosting locations are Schenectady County Community College and Clarkson University Capital Region Campus. Field trips will also take place to other locations of interest.
Saturdays, academic year: 9:30am-12:30 pm*
January 20th, 27th
February 3rd, 10th, 17th
March 3rd, 10th, 17th, 24th
April 7th, 14th, 21st, 28th
September 8th, 15th, 22nd, 29th
October 13th, 20th, 27th
November 3rd, 17th
* Subject to change.
Transportation is provided, free of charge. Pick up and drop off routes are available at different convenient Schenectady City locations.
Morning snacks and lunch will be provided by Rise High, free of charge.