your participation in Amazon Smiles.
RISE HIGH is a program for Schenectady City youth where participants learn about STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) and other skills to success, in a fun and nurturing environment. Students are exposed to a wide variety of careers in technology. Through hands-on experiential learning we promote problem-solving and critical thinking, while exercising their creativity and providing the support to help them reach their goals.
OUR MISSION Provide sustained exposure to diverse enrichment learning opportunities in STEM to under-resourced youth in our community via comprehensive approaches that address and overcome barriers to academic, personal, and wellness development.
Benefits of Rise High
Rise High’s components
Tell Me More
Fall 2019: 7th & 8th graders
Spring 2020: New 6th grade cohort and 7th & 8th graders
Subsequent grade levels will add every Spring semester, up through 12th grade.
Programming is tailored for each independent grade, with some shared sessions. Each cohort (grade) will have 16-20 participants.
- Student from Schenectady City school
- Have an interest or curiosity in STEM subjects
- Have limited access to financial, social, mentorship, enrichment opportunities, or academic/professional support resources.
The program is free of charge for the students and their families.
Apply Online or Download application HERE, or ask the counselor at your school.
- Fill out the student application
- Submit two (2) letters of recommendation. At least 1 letter should be from a school teacher (science/math preferred). Both letters can be from teachers. Other adults that can recommend (maximum 1) include community program leaders, or close family friend.
- Return paper forms at your school office, email application and letters of recommendation to Apply@rise-high.org, or mail paper forms to P. O. Box 4213, Clifton Park, NY 12065.
- If selected, attend student/legal guardian orientation to make sure that we are all on board, and proper signatures are collected to start the fun and learning!
Once you are in the program, and if in good standing, you are automatically enrolled for the following semester/year. We want to see you again for years to come! A new 6th grade cohort will be added every year in the Spring semester. For higher grades, ongoing recruitment will take place based on availability.
The main hosting locations are SUNY Schenectady County Community College and Clarkson University Capital Region Campus. Field trips will also take place to other locations of interest.
Saturdays, academic year: 9:30am-12:30 pm*
September 7th, 14th, 21st, 28th
October 5th, 19th, 26th
November 2nd, 16th, 23rd
February 1st, 8th, 15th, 29th
March 7th, 14th, 21st, 28th
April 4th, 18th, 25th
* Subject to change.
Transportation is provided, free of charge. Pick up and drop off routes are available at different convenient Schenectady City locations.
Morning snacks and lunch will be provided by Rise High, free of charge.