your participation in Amazon Smiles.
RISE HIGH is a program for Schenectady City youth where participants learn about STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) and other skills to success, in a fun and nurturing environment. Students are exposed to a wide variety of careers in technology. Through hands-on experiential learning we promote problem-solving and critical thinking, while exercising their creativity and providing the support to help them reach their goals.
OUR MISSION Provide sustained exposure to diverse enrichment learning opportunities in STEM to under-resourced youth in our community via comprehensive approaches that address and overcome barriers to academic, personal, and wellness development.
Benefits of Rise High
Rise High’s components
Tell Me More
Spring 2021: 7th, 8th & 9th graders
Fall 2021: 8th, 9th, & 10th graders
Note: Due to the COVID pandemic, the 2020 recruitment cycle of 6th to 7th grade (spring to fall) was skipped. As we transition back to in-person programming, we will keep our community informed of future recruitment plans. Go to Apply Now! for updates.
Programming is tailored for each independent grade, but we also have some shared sessions. Each cohort (grade) will have 18-20 participants.
- Student from Schenectady City School District
- Student resident in Schenectady City
- Have an interest and curiosity in STEM subjects
- Have limited access to financial, social, mentorship, enrichment opportunities, or academic/professional support resources.
The program is free of charge for the students and their families.
Apply Online or Download application HERE, or ask the counselor at your school.
- Fill out the student application
- Submit two (2) letters of recommendation. At least 1 letter should be from a school teacher (science/math preferred). Both letters can be from teachers. Other adults that can recommend (maximum 1) include community program leaders, or close family friend.
- Return paper forms at your school office, email application and letters of recommendation to Apply@rise-high.org, or mail paper forms to P. O. Box 4213, Clifton Park, NY 12065.
- If selected, attend student/legal guardian orientation to make sure that we are all on board, and proper signatures are collected to start the fun and learning!
Once you are in the program, and if in good standing, you are automatically enrolled for the following semester/year. We want to see you again for years to come! A new 6th grade cohort will be added every year in the Spring semester. For higher grades, ongoing recruitment will take place based on availability.
Main hosting institutions vary by semester and special field trips also take place at other locations of interest. In the Fall 2021, students will be hosted at Clarkson University Capital Region Campus and Proctors Theatre.
Transportation is provided, free of charge. Pick up and drop off routes are available at different convenient Schenectady City locations.
Morning snacks and lunch will be provided by Rise High, free of charge.